Alex and Nick are away in Tasmania so this week Kat and Josh joined me to talk about some of the big news in Australian Politics. We discussed Rudd’s appointment of Tony Burke as a new Population Minister and how creepy we all thought it was. Josh told us all about Tony Abbott’s recent backpedal about gays, Kat let us know about changes to the U.S’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy in the military and I discussed the case of Maggy in Stawell, a nine year old trans kid who’s doing it tough at her local Primary School. We had a couple of questions about that story so I have added some links below if you’d like more info:
If you’d like more info about the case of Maggy in Stawell and trans/queer youth here are some links:
1) The “I support Maggy” facebook group:
2) An article posted on that group’s page about trans kids:
3) This writer does trans teen fiction and has just released a book:
4) There’s also a book called “Out of the Closet and into the
Classroom: Homosexuality in Books for Young People” could be useful.
It’s by Marjorie Lobban and Laurel A Clyde
5) And this is the family court case we were talking about:
If you missed the show you can check out some highlights here: http://www.cpod.org.au/page.php?id=221
See you next week from 9am to 12pm on Joy 94.9.